Saturday, November 3, 2012

Trick-or-Treat

Halloween 2012 started off with a trick for the Saxton's. We weathered Hurricane Sandy surprisingly well on Sunday night and all day Monday. While it rained a ton and was really windy off and on we were spared from damage and kept power the entire time, miraculous considering all the huge trees near our house! On Wednesday I was home again with the kids since our daycare hadn't been so lucky and was without power for 3 full days. Kellen was battling a bad cold, hadn't slept well in a few days, and we were all sort of tired and grumpy from being stuck inside. And then around 10 am, the power went out. I knew there had been a big tree partially down on Hilton. I guess when the rest of it came down it took the lines with it. Ugh! I couldn't take the kids anywhere to play because I didn't want Kel to infect any of their little friends, and we couldn't play outside because it was cold and windy and we would be coming in to a cold house with no way to warm up. So we were stuck inside again and Noelle was just done with her entrapment!

The morning was fun though. We played "Disney World" (Noelle's idea) and rode a plane, bus, monorail, etc. down to Disney and then played at the waterparks, went on safari, and rode rides. We had lunch. And then it was time for nap. Kel's room was already freezing, I was exhausted because he had been up most of the night, and Noelle needed to take a nap too so I tried to get us all tucked in to our bed to cuddle and sleep. Kel was game. Noelle not so much. So she went and played in her room while we tried to snooze. Kellen was awake and super snotty one hour later and not so happy about it. So we had a rough afternoon. Noelle was bored, mad that I couldn't give her my undivided attention, and tired and lately that manifests itself in defiance and talking back. Halloween was canceled after this lasted continuously for an hour and Noelle was sent again to play in her room. She could earn trick-or-treating back by playing nicely until daddy came home at 5:30. Thirty minutes later she was still upstairs which never happens. I tiptoed up there to find her fast asleep on her bed. Thank goodness - a nap was just what the doctor ordered! Noelle doesn't need a nap everyday anymore but if she doesn't get them at least 5 days a week or so it is not pleasant!

At 6 everything was looking up! Bryan was home! The power came back on! We could cook our dinner and eat quickly! And the kids scarfed down some dinner in their excitement to get their costumes on and go out and around the block!

Noelle loved trick-or-treating and I am so glad she finally cooperated so we could go out. Kellen even got in to the act a little and toddled up to doors and even tried to go in to one or two of our neighbors' houses!
 
(Snow White had to wear her regular clothes under her outfit. Brrr, it was cold out there!)


 
 


Noelle and Bryan carved our pumpkin on Tuesday. Here is their handiwork! I love the little pumpkin family Noelle picked out for us. My contribution was picking out the pumpkin seeds for roasting. My first attempt and they came out pretty tasty!




Each of the kids got one piece of candy when we got home from our trick-or-treating adventure. I tried to give Kellen a bite of a milky way - my choice for the night. Well Kel had a better idea- grab the candy bar and run! He did surprisingly well with the chocolate caramel goo!



Bedtime Halloween night was a little rough. Noelle was exhausted again and was so done with the day. My favorite conversation of the night:
Mom, I'm going to run away if you don't stop feeding Kellen and help me brush my teeth!
Noelle, running away is so overrated. You know you never get to see us again if you run away. No mommy, daddy, or brother. And you'd have no place to live and it is getting really cold outside. And what would you eat? You'd be really hungry.
Mom, I'm going to run away in warm clothes.
Schooled by my three year old - awesome.

The best part of Halloween - all the York Peppermint Patties left over at our house! I got one of my personal favorites to give out so I can eat one a day, not be tempted by the kids' candy (I need to get that out of the house ASAP though!), and stick to the diet. So far the plan is working beautifully!

Hope your Halloween was full of all treats and not tricks!




No comments:

Post a Comment