Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ending Something Special

Just warning people, this post is about breastfeeding. Look away now if you don't want to read more!

Seven months ago I never thought I would make it this far breastfeeding Kellen. He got multiple teeth early, was a biter there for awhile, and I just never was able to pump milk at the rate I could with Noelle. I cried thinking I wouldn't have enough milk for my son, especially when he struggled early with any solids but pureed food. But somehow, we did it. Neither of my kids had formula. I know not all moms that want to can do this for their babies, and I know that moms that use formula are wonderful, loving parents, but this is what I wanted for my little ones and I feel extremely blessed to have been able to get there. We all have seen the studies of the benefits of breastmilk and I am so grateful that I was able to provide those benefits to my children, as well as get health benefits for myself. And with Noelle breastfeeding was all I had to do to almostly instantly lose the weight I gained durng my pregnancy. Too bad it wasn't that easy the second time around (although maybe that was a good thing since a lifestyle change was the end result)!

So I am a huge proponent of breastfeeding and the past few weeks I have really been struggling with giving it up. As Kellen is now 13 months, drinking his whole milk without throwing up (yay!), and isn't requesting to feed anymore, I feel like it is time to stop. I know deciding when to stop is a really personal decision. Good for you if you want to still feed your child when they are 2 or even 4, but that isn't the right decision for me or my family. So now is the time to end the breastfeeding era but I just didn't know how hard it would be for me. With Noelle it was different. She stopped showing interest about a week before she turned 1 and since I knew we'd have more kids someday, it didn't really bother me. Knowing Kellen has likely completed our family, it is just different this time.

I have been feeding Kellen at decreasing intervals (once a day, every day and a half, every two days) for the past two weeks and last night fed him for the first time in three days. I think we will have one last hurrah over the weekend and then will be done for good. So it is the end of an era. Pumping, can't say I'll ever miss you! But I will definitely miss those bedtime and early morning feedings! Thank goodness this doesn't mean the end of snuggle time. Kellen loves to give (and say) hugs right now so I guess I'll settle for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment